Monday, April 12, 2010

Oh, Marty - People Watchin.

Marty’s List:
Fix Trunk
Speed Odometer
Heater

Marty’s list is getting shorter, so that’s a good thing – especially now that Marty is safe and no longer in danger.

The last four days have been rather interesting, without wanting to go any faster than 40-45mph I wasn’t making too many friends on the road. I never realized how impatient people are, how fast people drive and I gained compassion for older people who drive slowly.

Here I was driving down the road enjoying the scenery, listening to music and driving 40mph; I was enjoying life and soaking in the fact that I can now drive myself. And behind me are 3-4 angry cars; honking, hitting their sterling wheels, and riding Marty’s tail – these cars were in a hurry and were upset with me driving so slowly.

It really made me think; A) how often do we pass up moments to just soak in our surroundings and praise God for the things he’s created, B) how often do we feel like we’re more important than someone else and C) how often do we pass people by because they’re being an inconvenience to us.

I’m guilty of all these things.

I always focus on the task at hand, the situation or the problem and I fail to sit back and look towards God. I forget that’s he’s in control and not me. I pass moments to sit in the presence of the Lord, I pass moments of sitting & chatting with friends, I pass moments of growth and all because I’m focused on the final destination.

It up-sets me when someone at work comes in late for their shift, because I have to stay later than I planned. It irritates me when I’m closing down the store and someone comes in right before I’m about to lock the doors and now I have to wait and serve them. It frustrates me when someone doesn’t answer my text right away when I’m trying to find information out.

Sometimes I avoid people at church because I don’t have the time or don’t want to hear their problems and drama. Sometimes I’m short with customers because I know if I get them talking they’ll never shut up. I only call certain people every so often because I don’t want them in my life.

For me, all of these things are ‘people’ surrounded. I’m a people person. I love to help and serve. I love to encourage and lift up. I love people. But, when I look at the ways of how I blow people off or how I avoid certain people; it breaks my heart. How can I love people so much but leave out the ones I deem as an ‘inconvenience.’

How can I pass people by so effortlessly?

Yes, people were passing Marty and I by, but it didn’t bother us. We were happy and enjoying life. But how many people do they, do I, do you, pass by that aren’t having a good time, who aren’t having a good day, who needs a friend and someone to talk to.


How often do we pass people by who need us the most?
Who’s been an inconvenience lately?
What needs to happen until you need or are forced to slow down?
$300 slowed me down. How about you?


Oh Marty; we'll get through this adventure of life together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment