Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sainthood

“But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be names among you, as is proper among saints.” –Ephesians 5:3 (English Standard Version)

“But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints.”
–Ephesians 5:3 (King James)

As the body of Christ and as the church we are called to be saints. The definition of a saint: a person of great holiness, virtue, or benevolence.

I don’t know about you, but I defiantly don’t see myself as a “saint.” Most cringe at the word saint and find it as an impossible task to become one (myself included). But reading this verse (Ephesians 5:3) gives me hope.

“As is proper among saints,” the English Standard Version gives us a step in the right direction - a rule to aspire to. It’s telling us how saints should act.

The King James Version says: “As becometh saints.” Becoming saints; saints still in the process, saints that still have work to be done.

This gives me more hope than you can imagine. I can be a saint in progress. I don’t have to be “holy” all at once, I don’t have to be “sin free,” it’s not wrong for me to still have strong struggles in my life, I’m allowed to still be a mess and have the privilege to continue working on who I am to be in Christ.

I’m a “beginner saint” and I find comfort in knowing that I can move from beginner saint to intermediate saint and advance saint. I don’t have to be an “advance saint” at a drop of a hat, I can work myself there.

The Lord will mature me to that stage when I’m ready, but I’m humbled to know that I am considered a saint even in my beginning stage.

0 comments:

Post a Comment