Sunday, April 7, 2013

I'm Okay

I talk about self-harm a lot on this blog. I don’t try to hide the fact that I was extremely depressed for years, that I harmed myself or that I thought about/attempted suicid

For the longest time I kept all these things to myself. It took me a long time to learn how to publicly announce how I feel or what I’m thinking.

I have a private blog that I’ve had for years, since 2004. I wrote in that blog day after day after day. I kept everything to myself. I was so afraid to let anyone else see it. It wasn’t till 2008 when I made a public blog. I was moving away and I thought it would be easier to keep everyone updated that way. And now four years later, I still have the public blog up and I write in the private one less and less.

I hardly write in it actually. I have finally become comfortable to unveil my true self. I’m no longer afraid to show my crazy. Cause I am crazy, and I’m okay with that.

I’m writing all of this to say, that I’m okay. I’m doing okay, most days. For now. Recovery and healing is a road, a road that needs to be taken a little at a time.

I know that sometimes I write more bad then good. I share how much I’m struggling without giving any hope of redemption. I’m an extreme. I am either really high or really low. I’m still working on that.

It’s come to my attention that I share that I struggle with thoughts of self-harm (from time to time), but I’ve never actually come out and said that I don’t self-harm.

At the end of this summer (2013), it will be two years since I last harmed myself. It’s such a crazy thought to me. It feels like it’s been so much longer and yet some days it seems like it was just yesterday.

I don’t struggle with thoughts of self-harm or suicide daily or even weekly. I’m not going to lie though; I do still get those thoughts. It’s just not as often and not as vivid.

When I do get these thoughts, I share them because I need the accountability. I need someone to know how I’m feeling and how close I am to the edge. I also share them because it’s my redemption. I’m going to make it through this, by clinging onto God – I know He won’t let me go.

I just thought I should share that.

I’m okay.

0 comments:

Post a Comment