Sunday, August 12, 2012

Compassion

When I lived in Colorado every time I exited a certain ramp off the highway there was always a man at the end of the off-ramp asking for money. I always saw the same two men, one who had a military duffel bag and one with a dog.

When I saw these men, my heart went out to them. I always wanted to help, but I didn’t know how. I didn’t want to give them money, I was afraid they wouldn’t spend it on food or water. So instead, I prayed for them. Every time I saw one of them I prayed that the Lord would watch over, protect and provide for them. I even prayed for the dog.

Lately I’ve been asked by a few people if I could “spare some change.” I say no, mostly because I don’t carry cash, but also because that fear is still in me. I want to help people. I want to stop starvation and end homelessness, but I know at this moment that’s most likely improbable.


I’ve been crafting a lot lately and since I’m not good at measuring how much product I need, I find myself constantly going to the store to buy more. I pulled into the Wal-Mart parking lot, into a space, grabbed my bag, closed my car door and started walking towards the entrance. A woman came up to me, told me her story and asked if I could spare any money. I told her no, sorry and entered the building.

Her story repeated over and over in my head while I shopped. She needed money to buy food for her dogs. I went to the dog food aisle, grabbed two packets of inexpensive dog food and prayed. “Lord, if she truly needs this food please allow me to see her when I leave.”

And that was it. My mind was at rest.

I’ve attempted this a few times before, getting people what they’re asking for instead of giving them money. The first few times didn’t work out like I had thought, they rejected the food. But I knew that God would honor my prayer.

I paid for my things and walked out the door. I was looking down, at my bag, and when I lifted my head – there she was, crossing the aisle I had parked my car. I called out to her and told her I wasn’t able to give her money, but I had bought her food. She smiled, took the food and seemed truly happy. She thanked me and walked away.

“God bless you.” She called out to me.

God bless you too.

1 comments:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

What an inspiring story. :) I'll have to remember it next time I encounter someone in need. I wanted to thank you for your sweet comment today. It made my day (truly). :)

Post a Comment