Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I don't want it!

At the Honor Academy we have special awards called “Carpe Diem Awards;” 'Seize the Day' awards. These awards are given to a selected few; people who work hard, are leaders and uphold the vision of Teen Mania. The awards are usually given to people who stand out, are known for being driven and 'on fire.' And these awards are usually given out at chapel.

I've been sick and can hardly function let alone concentrate, so I went 'home' for the day at lunch. I get to the dorm, change, eat, make 'sleepy time' tea, take medicine and crawl into bed when I get texts from my supervisor telling me I needed to go to chapel. I looked at the phone's screen unenthusiastically; with a moan I crawl out of bed, change and head to the auditorium. I get to chapel, sit in the back and text my supervisor asking why I was there. No answer.

The speaker begins to talk as my head is pounding; the speaker finishes and more than ever I wonder why I had to leave my bed. We pray, I grab my stuff to leave and Mr. Hasz (Director of the Honor Academy) gets up to speak: 'Alright everyone, you're not dismissed yet. We are going to be giving out Carpe Diem Awards.' I sit back down in my chair and instantly know why I was told I had to go to chapel.

I sit in my chair as two names are called; the entire time I'm thinking: 'I don't want an award!! I'm sick!' Another name is called; 'Wait, why would I be given an award?' I think. And than: “Stella Cordova” Mr. Hasz calls my name; I stand as people clap and cheer. I walk to the front as Mr. Hasz reads what my award says:

'Stella Cordova is an extremely valuable asset to our team. From day one she has passionately worked to build Teen Mania's social networks into powerful tools that are effectively reaching out to this generation. Because of her hard work and dedication, we have more than doubled our social influence with teenagers through MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Tangle. Her passion for success and commitment to excellence is evident in everything she puts her hands to, and her heart for the Lord is evident and beautiful. She always has a smiling face and a giddy attitude and chooses joy even in the midst of strife. This positive attitude has even reminded and challenged her managers and coworkers to choose joy as well. We're so thankful and honored to have Stella as part of our team, we honestly could not do this without her!'

I shake Mr. Hasz's hand and take my award as I join the others on stage. More names are called and once everyone is up we get one more round of applause and we go back to sit down. As I walk back to my seat my manager looks at me beaming, again I think: 'I don't want an award! I'm sick!'

We are than released from chapel as friends come to hug and congratulate me. I find my manager give him a hug and he says how proud of me he is. I walk to the fountain as I sit and stare at my award. “Carpe Diem, really?” I open the award and read what it says again. “Okay... Maybe I do want it...” I say with a small smile as I walk back to the dorms to sleep.

I have to say after getting sleep and some rest I was beyond thrilled with my award. And I'm very honored and blessed to have the privilege to have a Carpe Diem award.

0 comments:

Post a Comment