Sunday, March 29, 2009

Reflection Essay - Contemporary Issues

Before coming to the Honor Academy I never really thought about what my morals were on issues. I just did and acted on what I was taught was “proper,” I never really gave it any thought of why I acted or performed in these ways.

not only our character but also our Father, it has really got me to thinking: ‘Why I act the way I act.’ I’m still trying to think everything through and see what matches up with my morals, but here’s a just of what I think I would allow myself to do.

My thoughts on:

Dancing:
With how our world has corrupted dancing, I would rather not comment on it. I always loved and adored the old movies of dances that were choreographed; the dances that people were raised in and everyone did the exact same move, it was one big giant performance. The way our ‘dancing’ is now, with grinding, lifting and touching; it’s most disgraceful.

I don’t think dancing is wrong, not in the lease, but I do think there are different types of dancing. Dancing with a group of friends or dancing one on one with someone with a respectable amount of room is fine. But dancing inches away from someone and their body touching yours in an intimate way; that’s a no go with me. I’m not saying I won’t slow dance or that I won’t dance close to anyone, my husband yes, but I’m not just going to give my body ‘away’ like that to anyone.

Drinking:
To be completely honest, I haven’t completely worked out all my thoughts, ideas and morals on drinking. My family is filled with alcoholics, which makes me want to hate it, but I also see others who can drink one alcoholic beverage and are fine. But for myself personally, I don’t think I could have more than one alcoholic beverage at a time; and that would be far and few between.

I wouldn’t drink in public, but I wouldn’t drink alone either, I would drink in a small intimate group. I wouldn’t hold or store the beverages at my home and I also wouldn’t buy it. I don’t plan on drinking on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Everything has its time and place and I believe this the same for alcohol.

What would be the time or places for me? A drink on my wedding night with my husband, an intimate dinner with my husband and maybe a celebration or two of announcements; but I defiantly don’t see myself celebrating every little thing with a drink.

Movie & TV viewing:
With the way that the secular entertainment world has corrupted our movies and television, it’s hard to not turn on the television or walk into a movie theater without watching something with profanity and semi-nudity. I’ve always been careful with what I watch and what I listen to. Because what you put in, is what you get out; and what you surround yourself with is how you will become.

And with that said, I don’t think I could just classify one ‘category’ of things I wouldn’t watch. I can’t say I wouldn’t watch anything rated R, because I have, and not everything rated R is full of gore, nudity and vulgar language. Movies of historical content are usually rated R because it does have much violence, movies depicting how someone was treated in slavery is usually rated R because the acts done to them are to the extreme, and movies talking about serious issues as in abortion, suicide, murder & other controversial topics are usually rated R. But that doesn’t mean I will go watch a movie full of drugs, sex and drinking scenes.

With me, it all comes down to the story line. If the story line seems clean, enjoyable and “family friendly” I usually go see it. I don’t think the rating has much to do with how the movie is; most PG-13 movies now are filled with slanderous words, disobedient children and sex driven teens. I stick with the story line, if the story line catches my eye and seems interesting I will watch, and if it turns out to be completely against my morals I will stop watching it; I’ve done it before and am not afraid to do it again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment