Saturday, May 5, 2012

Generational Music

One of the many reasons why I love music so much is because music can branch and connect many different generations and personality types together. Music, for the most part, has no limitations. With all the many ways different artists and musicians can take one song and change it, is mind-bending to me. You can hear one song by a rock band and hear that exact same song by a county band or R&B artist and it’s completely different. I love that part of music and the music industry. Songs are so powerful with their lyrics and meaning and being able to change their melody so they can be easier accepted by an individual or group of people is - phenomenal! Being able to change the melody of a song so people of all ages, races and economical standings can relate to the true meaning of the song, can be life changing.

Whenever I’m in my car, I always have music playing. ALWAYS. Since I’ve moved back to Cali, I’ve found myself driving my aunts around a lot. One aunt hates to drive and the other doesn’t have a vehicle. And because all of our musical tastes are different, I’ve been having a hard time finding something for all of us to listen to.

Driving home tonight, I placed on one of my favorite bands (who I consider to be a ‘softer rock’) and placed the volume low. My aunts are sitting in silence resting from our long day as I’m driving and singing along to all the songs.

And then, Stellar Kart’s version of ‘You Never Let Go’ plays lightly across my stereo – as three strong and vibrant voices accompany it.

’ Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me
You keep on lovin and you
Never let go’


This amazing, magical and spiritual moment stuck with me and will stick with me – forever. All three of us singing in unison praising our Lord. My Almighty God, He never ceases to amaze me!

To some, this is ‘just a song.’ Words with no meaning played to a musical beat that has no power. But to me, it’s more than a song. It’s a life line that connected us together and when I hear this song again it will keep us connected.

This was a life changing moment for me. A moment that made me realize even though my aunts and I don’t have the same musical taste we do have one thing in common – our God. Because of ‘a song’, played in different musical ways it installed in us that our God will never let us go, He will never abandon us. That connection, that bond will keep us united and strong together – forever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment