Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sing to My Soul

I’m addicted to music. I think that’s pretty obvious if you spend more than five minutes looking at my blog.

I don’t know what caused me to be overly obsessed with music. My dad is a music fan, I remember driving in the car and listening to the ‘oldies.’ My mom was also a heavy music fan; she was on the worship team at our church.

But I don’t remember ever being heavily influence to enjoy music the way I do. I remember I really started to like music right before we moved out of the Harold First house. I had become obsessed with the Spice Girls. I had almost every piece of merchandise they made.

I didn’t start to really get into music till after we moved from Harold First and into the house we’re in now. My second band obsession, Backstreet Boys. Yes, I was a BSB fan. Oh the memories of the late 90’s pop band-cookie cutter burst.

It wasn’t till I discovered Christian hard-rock that I fell in love with music. Up until ’05, I guess I never really realized that there were different types of music. I mean, yes, I was aware that there were different genres of music, but I wasn’t aware that music could move you – to your core. The music I listened to was mainly pop-feel good-get your feet moving music.

But there I stood in a stadium full of hundreds of young people and I finally got it. Music is a way to get out the things you never knew you could find the words for. I stood in my aisle staring at the stage and I knew in my soul I was finally complete.

Something dramatically changed in me that day.

From that day I started to listen mainly to Christian music. Sure, over the years I’ve crossed the line into mainstream music, but my heart belongs to the alternative-Christian market.

In high-school, I remember my friends and I would talk about our future husbands and what our expectations were.

“I’ve already told God, that He only has two options to give me in life. Either I marry a rock star or I become one."

I remember telling my friends. And to this day I’m still keeping God to that. But, I can’t sing to save my life and me and instruments don’t get along. So, I’m waiting hopelessly for my rock star to come sweep me off my feet with a bass guitar in one hand and take me into their tour bus.

Now, I know this is highly unlikely. But that’s what dreams are, right? They’re supposed to give you hope for better. And that’s what music is. Music gives us hope that one day things will change, that things aren’t what they are, and that all this turmoil isn’t for nothing.



The music that inspired this post:
'Scars' by Colton Dixon
'This is Who I Am' by Colton Dixon
'In Crowd' by Rapture Ruckus

0 comments:

Post a Comment