Monday, November 4, 2013

Crush the Idols



I discovered this song a few weeks ago, and my soul fell in love with it. Yes, my soul. This song convicted me to my inner being. It convicted me, but also lifted me up at the same time.

I'm one of those people who critic every sound they hear. I don't do this out-loud (of course), but I do it in my head - all the time.

I am CONSTANTLY having to check myself when I'm in church and the worship team is on stage.

I love my church, everyone is so friendly, loving, caring and helpful. It really is one big family. And I get so much from the pastor's. I've also been growing a lot in my walk with God and in my knowledge of the Bible. It's been a good growing/stretching season for me... In more then one way.

I love my church, but the worship team(s) - aren't my cup of tea. There are two 'teams'. One team is an older couple that play very contemporary and somewhat dated music. They sing a lot of hymns (my nemesis), and use mainly a guitar and a piano. The second team is lead by a younger women. She sings a lot of modern songs and uses a lot of tracks (there's no one that plays an instrument on her team). However, she doesn't have knowledge of how to rearrange a song or conduct singers, so they're usually all over the place.

I find myself constantly having to check my heart and remind myself that I'm supposed to be focusing on God (not on the singing) and that I'm supposed to be worshiping (I'm not at a concert). I struggle a lot of the time focusing on the "right" things and this hinders me from truly worshiping the Lord and entering into His presence.

I've been trying really hard to overcome this, because I know it's not right. And I know I shouldn't have such a silly thing influence the way I interact with my Lord. But, it's really hard for me.

So when I heard this song, MAN, it broke me. It cut me to my core. But, it also encouraged me.

I realized that it's okay that I want to listen to "professional" worship music. I realized that this was becoming an issue for me, so I started to take the right moves to adjust my heart, soul and spirit. I'm on the right track. As long as I keep crushing the idol of music and continue to put God first, then I'm okay.

I'm okay. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment