Sunday, August 24, 2008

Skulls = Death

So it seems like my little punk gothic ways are starting to get the best of me. That was one problem I knew I was going to have when I got to the HA; I knew I would have to change my “fashion” style. I was dreading it a bit. I really didn’t want to change the way I looked, but I knew it was a must; plus changing your clothes is a small price to pay to get the experience you receive at the HA. I had to get an entirely new wardrobe; I spent months trying to find “brighter” clothes then what I usually wore. I love how my brightest new piece of clothing is a plum colored shirt; I don’t care for bright color’s much.

Here I am, at home, packing the day before I leave for the HA. Trying to pack all my new clothes and dreading having to leave all my black, gray, boots and gothic attire at home. The one thing that did make the cut, were these little plastic skull rubber bands. There about an inch and half wide and about two inches tall, plastic and in the shape of a skull. I love the rubber bands and they bring me joy every time I think of them. I packed them, along with my solid black cross and star; and left everything else at home.

Arriving to the HA, I wasn’t too thrilled with having to wear “brighter” clothes but I did do it with a ‘joyful’ heart. And to be honest some of the shirts are starting to rub off on me (the darker ones – HAHA!).

This past Sunday all the interns had to go to a neighboring church for service. We were all pretty excited, not only were we able to experience another church but we were also able to get off campus! Yes!

Getting ready for church, I didn’t really think about what I was wearing: a black skirt, dark cameo brown shirt and the cute little skulls in my hair. We head outside, wait for the shuttle and head to the church. I have to say, that was a very exciting trip. The church was about five minutes away, but interns who have been conformed to a campus for over a week could make a party out of anything.

We get to the church, walked in and took our seats; and there was when people started to notice my hair. One of my Gauntlet Core roommates noticed my hair and asked what I was wearing. I looked at my clothes and said that it was appropriate; she then pointed to my hair. I moved my hand to the skulls and smiled: “They’re cute.” “They represent death and are evil.” “They are not. They’re a fun and cool accessory.” She shook her head and walked away.

She wasn’t the only one to notice my hair before the service, other interns started to whisper about my hair and one told me to take the skulls out. I sat in my chair and listed to the sermon, the skulls tightly in my hair. After the service the same roommate came up to me again and once again talked to me about my skulls. I told her they meant nothing, just something fun to wear. She then went on to say that her father would never allow her to buy anything with skulls. I smiled and laughed as I lifted my purse, the design of skulls and cross-bones along with pink hearts; “My dad bought me this.” She looked at me, mouth wide open and in shock. The people around us also gapped.

Returning back to campus I asked a friend on the bus what she thought of the whole “skull” situation. She had the same thought as me. The next day I sat with some other friends at lunch and I started to explain what had happened the day before. Neither knew I was the one with the skulls, but they had heard and seen them. At this point, I was starting to get a little annoyed.

After lunch I went back to the dorm and asked my other roommates. They also said what the Gauntlet roommate had said: Skulls = Death. “But that’s not true.” “It might not be true, but that is what the church thinks.” “I wear them all the time to my church, along with other skulls. I never had problems before.” They shook their heads and shrugged. “It just wasn’t the time or place. You have to respect the atmosphere of the church.” I sighed and nodded.

Who would have thought that a little pair of plastic skulls would cause such a stir? That doesn’t mean that I won’t wear them any more, I will. I just have to be more cautious and aware of where and when I wear them.

Plus, if Building 429 and Pillar thought they rocked – they must be cool.

Ha ha.

0 comments:

Post a Comment