Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Grand Ball

As darkness falls, I enter a room that I’m too familiar with.
All eyes fix on me – some friendlier than others.
The demons and I begin to dance, bowing and swaying in accordance.
The King watches as guards gather.
Silence rings all around me. No music. No sound.
Memories of years past creep upon my weak soul.
And choke out all aspiration of hope.
Gasping for air I begin to struggle to stay on my feet.
Guards enclose, demons snicker – the King rises.
The room spins as the atmosphere enheightens.
Voices become overwhelming.
Demons push, guards prepare – the King, holds His breath.
Grasp. Stumble. Trip. To the ground I fall.
The King and I lock eyes. The urgency in His - intense.
Do I crawl to my feet for another enchanting disruption of my soul?
Or do I ask the King for protection?

They’re all waiting on me.


~~~

I haven’t written a poem in a while. Years, maybe. It’s odd to think that something that was such a part of my being, faded away. I had desires of becoming a poet, a famous author, but now – my hope is to make it through the night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment