Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Dreaded Phone Call

There’s one type of call that you never want to receive that can come in two ways: 1) Receiving a phone call saying that someone you care for has gotten deadly ill or 2) Receiving a phone call saying that someone you care for has passed. Sadly I have received this type of call and have given it.

My dad called this afternoon to inform me that my step-mom had gone into a coma; my head swam as I listened to the explanation. Why is it that death seems to creep upon my family? That it sneaks into the small cracks and floods the door in.

My step-mom had gone in for a small surgery, it went well and everything had gone great; but when she woke the next morning (today) she didn’t know where she was at or who she was. Fear crept upon her as she panicked and became physical with the nurses and doctors; they restrained her to protect themselves and her. My dad rushed to the hospital to be with her, by that time she slowly started to get her memory back, she remembered my dad and pleaded with him to take her home.

When my dad arrived at the hospital they were finally able to calm my step-mom enough to take some tests. They placed her on the MRI table and got ready to do the test; she then had a heart attack and went into a coma.

My dad called me moments later to inform me what happened; my world froze in place – not again. I sat outside the main building on the water fountain crying; I clang to the phone as my dad spoke. I was unable to go back to work after that; my roommate saw me and I told her what happened, she went and grabbed my stuff. I walked back to the dorm as I ran into friends; they stopped and prayed over me and my family. I love how everyone around you is like family, they don’t care who or what the situation is they just want to love over you.

I placed my things in my room as I went and told my CA and then went to lie under the stars. What am I going to do? The doctors give my step-mom has no chance of making it through the night. What if she passes? I’m going to have to go home, I’m going to have to miss class, I’m going to miss my roommates, my core, my family core – I’m going to have to miss ESOAL.

God, what’s going to happen? My dad can’t loose my step-mom. Are we going to be able to handle another death?

0 comments:

Post a Comment