Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ping-Pong Anyone?

After two days of finding out that my step-mom passed, I was finally on my way home for the funeral. Two of my roommates had already dropped out of ESOAL by the time I had to go to the airport; we all woke up early and got on the road to head towards Dallas a good two hour road trip. We stopped for gas and prayed for a safe trip as we entered the highway; nothing could have prepared us for what was going to happen on that road trip. We were about 45 minutes away from the airport, singing along to Skillet’s ‘Comatose’ CD as we saw an impatient black BMW behind a white expedition swerve into our lane cutting us off.

We were driving down a two lane highway; we were on the left side as the two other cars were on the right. The distance between the front of our car and the back of the white expedition was less then 10 feet when the black BMW swerved into our lane. We swerved our car to the left barely missing the BMW by seconds; with the speed we were going, it sent the car out of control. With our rapid turn to the left we ran into the guard rail and bounced off it. The impact of the hit sent us back to the BMW; by this time the BMW was at the same speed of the white expedition.

On this two lane highway, three cars were occupying both the lanes; we all lined up in a perfect row. We hit the BMW and bounced back to the left, back into the guard rail. We bounced again into the white expedition, by this time the BMW had speed up and was now in front of us. We bounced off the white expedition and once more into the guard rail; with one more bounce, we came off the guard rail and into a ditch on the far right.

We all sat in the car as we tried to comprehend what just happened. In the process of our car playing ping-pong the windows had cracked and glass was thrown every where, all of our belongings were sprawled over the car, and the passenger in the back seat was injured. By the time we ran into the ditch the black BMW had speed off and was out of sight. The driver and I were able to open our doors and step out as the passenger of the white expedition ran towards us to see if we were okay.

After the fastest 30 minutes of my life passed, which felt like seconds, the car we were driving was picked up, our roommate was rushed to the hospital, and we (the driver and myself) were in a cop car on our way to the hospital to be with our roommate.

Moments after the accident I called my manager from work to inform him we were in a wreck; it was the only number I had of who I knew could help us. My manager was a major in ESOAL and was able to find the director of the Honor Academy, my major, my dorm director and my CA. Within minutes tons of people were praying for us; my roommates and I.

The driver and I sat in the waiting room as we waited impatiently to see our roommate. We were able to go in minutes later and stayed with her until people from the Honor Academy were able to meet us. By this time an hour or so had passed and the driver started to become in great pain; she checked herself in and I stayed with our roommate.

Moments after the two ladies from the Honor Academy arrived with a new car to pick us up, the roommate and me got into the car with the driver to take me to the airport; leaving the driver of our car with the other HA person.

I was the only person in the wreck that wasn’t hospitalized.

By this time about four hours had passed from the wreck, I had missed my flight and didn’t know if I could make it home. We got to the airport, we spoke with the airplane company and I was able to get on another flight. I had to wait about an hour for my flight; I sat in the lobby as I called everyone back to inform them of everything that had happened.

After a long 12 hour day I finally made it home, safe, back to California.

This just isn’t my week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment