Monday, April 23, 2012

Trauma

I know for some who have lost a loved one, death in fictional circumstances is hard to handle. Most of the time, death shown in movies or books don’t affect me. But sometimes they drag me back to that exact moment of trauma, where I can’t breathe.

Last night, I was watching a movie where an older parent died in their sleep. The child, in their mid-adult life, discovers their parent and is devastated. To some watching this, it’s just an emotional and intense scene. To me, it dragged me into that room and I felt every emotion of the actor.

Watching that scene dragged me back into my parent’s room, seven years ago as I held my mother and watched her die in my arms. All I could see, on the TV screen, was me holding my mother in my arms crying and pleading with God to not take her from me.


Trauma: a deeply distressing or disturbing experience.

When someone important in our life dies, we go through different stages of grief. Some people go through these stages quickly, some people don’t have to go through them all, some people start the stages right away and some people start them later in life. But, at one point or another we all have to come to terms with the trauma of losing someone we love and care for.

The trauma of losing someone close to us descends, slowly. The intensity of the pain left behind in that moment of departure decreases, most of the time. And sometimes, everyday activates bring triggers that bring back that trauma so intensely, that we feel like we can’t handle the emotions that follow.

In that moment, in that exact moment of vulnerability our true character shines. Either in glory or defeat.

We make decisions every day to allow things to affect us in a positive or negative way. We have the choice to allow trauma to captivate our grief stricken heart or to allow God to help us walk through the stages of grief and ask Him to heal us.


So there I sat in my seat watching the scene of my own life. I was sad and felt compassion for the fictional character. But I was glad and rejoiced in the fact that I know my mother is in heaven now.

I’ve chosen to allow God to heal the areas of my heart where trauma has corrupted it. And I couldn’t be more at peace.

0 comments:

Post a Comment